About Harrold Centre
Harrold Centre sits at the centre of village life for the community of Harrold in North Bedfordshire. Formerly known as the Harrold Institute, it was built in 1901 and the main hall added in 1911. The two separate buildings were bequeathed to the village in the early 1970s and a new trust was set up to manage and improve the facilities. At this time, the Centre we see today was created by linking the two buildings together with a new entrance lobby and washroom facilities. A further major redevelopment saw the Harrold Centre open its doors on 1st September 2017 with much improved and expanded facilities. The renewed Centre includes new toilets with a seperate disabled toilet, new kitchen and bar area, a spacious entrance lobby, an extended main hall and better use of existing space. The building is now an attractive, light, clean and airy. Suitable and welcoming for a wide range of community activities.
The Centre possesses land around it on three sides; to the north there is a children’s play area, to the south the car park incorporating a bottle bank/recycling area, and to the east two tennis courts located on ground leased long-term by the Centre to the Tennis Club. The building is situated within the Harrold Conservation Area.
Located in the very heart of the village, Harrold Centre is more than a building and more than the activities taking place within it. It is where and how people can become involved in the community and village life. Not only does it improve individual quality of life by contributing to social, physical, economic, educational and environmental wellbeing, it also positively impacts on the social cohesion of the village through the sharing of common interest and experience, resulting in friendship, togetherness, a sense of belonging and community spirit.
Harrold Centre is a registered charity (268251) providing a venue from which local people can access a wide range of social, health and educational related activities. The charitable objectives of Harrold Centre are: “the provision and maintenance of a village hall for the use of the parishes of Harrold, Carlton with Chellington and Odell without distinction of political, religious or other opinions, including use for meetings, lectures and classes, and for other forms of recreation and leisure time occupation, with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants.”
The Trustees of Harrold Centre are the Harrold Centre Management Committee, who are responsible for the running and maintenance of the building.
The present Trustees are :-